Monday, March 02, 2009

I beat a game!!: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

I've never been the hugest Castlevania fan; if I'm playing a platformer, I want it to be based on jumping more than fighting enemies. Mario has enemies, but they're distractions between jumps; Castlevania tips the balance in favor of the enemies. At least, that's the feeling I got from playing the old games. The physics were off--I know it's impossible in real life to be able to change direction mid-jump, but since when have videogames been about real-life physics? The controls have always felt awkward to me. I haven't played a Castlevania game since III--maybe I played a little of Super Castlevania, I can't remember--and for the most part the series has passed me by completely.

But a friend recommended Ecclesia to me, and an episode of the Game Overthinker featured some footage and it looked AWESOME. For--I paid something like $20-25 for it--I figured I could take a chance on the series, and holy wow am I glad I did.

Order of Eccelsia is possibly the finest game I have played in a VERY long time. The day I got it was a Sunday; I logged about 8 straight hours of playing it. Yeah. I have not felt compelled to spend that long on a game in years. I was liking it that much. I played until my thumbs were literally in pain. And the next day--I was on a jury and there was a lot of time spent in waiting rooms--I logged another couple of hours. I played the hell out of this game. While I didn't get all of the collectables--I really rarely do in anything--I've seen all of the content I feel like seeing.

The closest thing to a flaw that the game has--and this will sound strange because everyone you've talked to is talking about how tough it is--is that the last few stages were not nearly as tough as the first few. I faced one boss SEVEN TIMES in a row, dying and immediately challenging him again and dying and immediately challenging him again. I didn't find that in the latter stages. I'm not sure if it's a balance issue or due to the fact that in the latter stages of the game I was finally able to afford potions, but who knows. There's always Hard Mode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home