Sunday, February 08, 2009

I beat a game!!: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Yeah, Metroid Prime 3, the same game I said was broken and awful.

I dunno, I decided to give it another shot. I think my main problem was being too reticent at Hypermode the first time around--I think when the plot of a game tells me "this attack, though useful, can kill you," I don't use it much. I had the same exact problem with Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, though that one was a little more insistent in its rationing of its Omega 13.

This time around I only died once--actually by getting corrupted during the last level of the game--and managed to get all but 2 of the pickups. (I've tried. I've searched every corner of the game I can think of and just...can't...find...them. Who knows.)

The game, again, has the same problems that Prime 2: Echoes had--namely, that it's not Metroid Prime 1. When you begin a series/subseries with such a bang, anything is going to be a disappointment. I really enjoyed exploring and scanning and finding out the storyline from logs in the first...here it's more of a chore than anything else. The fact that the game is told through a lot of cutscenes is, as I'd said, a downfall: it's just not as creepy as I want a Metroid game to be.

It's particularly interesting: in several areas, after you've cleared the major threats, the Galactic Federation establishes a little presence there to keep the peace--so you see soldiers walking around. On one hand it's a nice touch--it makes you feel that you're genuinely making some changes to the environment--but on the other hand, any threat that was there is neutralized.

I'm slightly on the fence about the fact that you get to travel between several planets in this game, though I'm leaning toward disliking it. The fact that there are loading times disguised as unskippable cutscenes of your ship flying to the next place is part of my antipathy. You will see these cutscenes MANY times. They get really old really fast. The scope of the game might be bigger than the others and if they were all connected it would get annoying to walk from one end of the planet to the other--but Tallon IV was a large planet--so, in its way, was Aether, though not as successful--and now we have several smaller planets. It isn't as impressive to have all of these subareas.

But on the whole I did enjoy my time through Prime 3 this time around. It would have been nice, given the new controls, to have a redesigned system: Prime 1 was a complete reimagining of Metroid for the Gamecube. This was not as dramatic: it was a simple remapping. But it brought the subseries to a satisfying conclusion, and I'll be interested to see what they do next. Hooray Metroid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home