Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bullets on FFXII, 2 hours in

--Vayne is intensely charismatic and intensely likeable; I'd swear allegiance to him. He must therefore be psychotically evil.

--The battle system is quite bizarre; I realize I've only gone through a couple of fights but as of the moment the strategy consists of clicking Attack, then running away so the enemy can't attack, then running in close when it's time to swing the sword. I haven't seen any Gambits yet so that'll probably get more in-depth.

--This is the second Squeenix game in a row that I have played that I can think of in which your character in the prologue is not the main character. I wonder if that's a trend and I wonder if I like that.

--The prologue is intensely unfocused. Within the first 20 minutes we have a parade, a wedding, some political intrigue, a battle, the fall of a city, an excerpt from a character's memoirs, an honest-to-goodness playable section/tutorial, a shocking event, some more memoirs, and then we get to see the main character. On one hand, it makes the story seem very epic--the introductory movie is full of excitement--on the other, I'm not sure what i should be focusing on yet.

--The menus are slightly clumsy, and Square doesn't seem to realize that it's at worst difficult and at best extremely awkward to control both the left analog stick and the digital pad at the same time, and yet the game makes you do as such.

--At least the game recognizes that peopel want to skip and pause cutscenes. FMV segments are skippable but unpausable, and I'm not sure why. But in-engine cutscenes you can do both with, and thank you Xenosaga for letting other companies realize the importance of that.

--The game's license board, while I haven't even begun to really spend much time with, is unimpressive at a first glance. While the board allows you to learn dozens of skills and could probably have some very deep strategy in later stages, since all the spots are extremely close together, so it looks small and unimposing. One of the things I liked about FFX's sphere grid was the fact that it was so spread out that it looked like you'd never get it finished and that there was a virtually unlimited amount of skills you can learn. The License Board might even have more varied skills than the Sphere Grid, but it looks like you can complete it easier. I know that won't be the case, but I'm just talking about immediate impressions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home